Type 2 diabetes which accounts for ninety per cent of all diabetes can be prevented through lifestyle changes, yet is the leading cause of sight loss, amputation, kidney failure, heart attack and stroke. A healthy lifestyle, early diagnosis and treatment is key to helping prevent or delay life-threatening complications and families play an important role in preventing diabetes or detecting the disease early.
For World Diabetes Day, partners from the council’s Children and Families centre team, HENRY team, the NHS and Waltham Forest Diabetes Action Group, will be shining a spot light on Diabetes, and the important role families can play in preventing diabetes and early diagnosis.
Find out more about supporting family members to
Come and speak to our health specialists at events planned in Waltham Forest on 14 November 2018 about preventing diabetes, and local services to support families in Waltham Forest. More information below.
Attend one of our events in Waltham Forest to get more information and speak to our champions, specialists and nurses about preventing, diagnosing and managing Diabetes:
- Monday 12 November -10am to 10.45am- Women’s walk - Park Café, Lloyd Park . More details
- Wednesday 14 November -8am to 10am- Women’s walk with former Mayor, Cllr Yemi Osho- Park Café, Lloyd Park. More details
- Wednesday 14 November -12pm to 2pm- Diabetes awareness raising session run by the Diabetes Specialist Nurses at Out-patients area, Whipps Cross University Hospital.
- Wednesday 14 November- 11am to 4pm- Waltham Forest Town square. More details
- Wednesday 14 November – 1pm to 3pm- Leyton Library Plus, High road Leyton, E10 5QH. More details
- HENRY through the Waltham Forest Children and families’ centres and in partnership with Lloyd Park children’s charity offer families support around healthy eating, nutrition, infant feeding, Speech & language and Oral health. Each Children and Family centre hub have trained nutritionists and champions, who offer group, drop ins and one on one sessions to families with children five years and under. Call 0208 496 5223 to get support.
- Healthier You: NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme in Waltham Forest identifies those at high risk of Diabetes (who have high blood sugars above the normal range), offering them a personalised service, including tailored weight loss, healthy eating and exercise programme, to help to reduce their risk of Type 2 diabetes. Speak to your GP about getting a blood test. Complete this questionnaire to find out if you are at risk of diabetes.
- NELFT nutrition and dietetic service offers expert nutritional advice and weight management service on a one to one and group sessions basis.
- NELFT and Barts Health (Whipps Cross) offer support to people with Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes around managing the disease
- Bags of Taste offer cooking lessons around cooking healthy tasty meals on a low budget
Learn more about making lifestyle changes and activities available in Waltham Forest to help maintain a healthy weight.
Speak to your GP if you are concerned and for referrals to local support available for people who have diabetes or who have high blood sugars above the normal range.
Visit NHS Choices for more information about symptoms, and support available