Diabetes – Protect your family
Can you help your family prevent diabetes?
Type 2 diabetes is the leading cause of sight loss, amputation, kidney failure, heart attack and stroke.
Simple steps such as a healthy lifestyle, early diagnosis and early treatment can help prevent or delay the risk of developing Diabetes or its associated complications.
Reducing your risk starts at home. When a family eats healthy meals and exercises together, all family members benefit and encourage behaviours that could help prevent type 2 diabetes in the family.
Come along to our Diabetes event to speak to our Diabetes and health specialists about diabetes and get screened on Thursday 14 November 2019 at Walthamstow Town square
Support Diabetes campaign in your schools, organisation, community and networks. Here are a few ideas.
- Organise an activity
- know your risk of type2 Diabetes
- Download free digital resources for your networks, reception and public areas including:
- Posters to print and share
- Diabetes event flyer to share
- Factsheets to print and share
- Social media images (for Twitter, Facebook and Instagram)
Contact Paul Walker for more information or for resources to support your campaign in your settings
Attend one of our events in Waltham Forest to get more information and speak to our champions, specialists and nurses about preventing, diagnosing and managing Diabetes:
- Wednesday 14 November- 2.00-6.00pm- Waltham Forest Town square. Download Flyer
- Healthier You: NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme in Waltham Forest identifies those at high risk of Diabetes (who have high blood sugars above the normal range), offering them a personalised service, including tailored weight loss, healthy eating and exercise programme, to help to reduce their risk of Type 2 diabetes. Speak to your GP about getting a blood test. Complete this questionnaire to find out if you are at risk of diabetes.
- HENRY through the Waltham Forest Children and families’ centres and in partnership with Lloyd Park children’s charity offer families support around healthy eating, nutrition, infant feeding, Speech & language and Oral health. Each Children and Family centre hub have trained nutritionists and champions, who offer group, drop ins and one on one sessions to families with children five years and under. Call 0208 496 5223 to get support.
- NELFT nutrition and dietetic service offers expert nutritional advice and weight management service on a one to one and group sessions basis.
- NELFT and Bartshealth (Whippscross) offer support to people with Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes around managing the disease
- Bags of Taste offer free cooking lessons around cooking healthy tasty meals on a low budget- new class starts on Friday 15 November 2019- Find out more
- Better Leisure centers offer free swimming access to under 18s, over 60s, disabled residents and the Armed Forces
- Enjoy Waltham Forest offer free cycling to residents in Waltham Forest
- Feel Good walks happen across Leyton, Leytonstone, Walthamstow and Chingford
Learn more about making lifestyle changes and activities available in Waltham Forest to help maintain a healthy weight.
Speak to your GP if you are concerned and for referrals to local support available for people who have diabetes or who have high blood sugars above the normal range.