Diabetes Prevention Week
Type 2 diabetes can be prevented through lifestyle changes, yet is the leading cause of sight loss, amputation, kidney failure, heart attack and stroke. A healthy lifestyle can help prevent or delay type 2 diabetes and the risk of serious complications that can come with it.
Here’s how you can get involved with Diabetes Prevention Week:
- Find out your risk – Use our Know Your Risk tool to find out your risk of developing Type 2 diabetes. It only takes three minutes.
- Get a free NHS health check – to check your risk of Type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease and other conditions (available for those aged 40 to 74).
- Ask your GP to check if you're at risk – and get referred to your local Healthier You prevention programme.
- Order your free Type 2 Diabetes Prevention Week toolkit to help raise awareness in your local area.
- Come and speak to our health specialists at events planned in Waltham Forest on Wednesday, 3rd April 2019 about preventing diabetes, and local services to support people in Waltham Forest. More information below.
Activities for Diabetes Prevention Week
Attend one of our events in Waltham Forest to get more information and speak to our champions, specialists and nurses about preventing, diagnosing and managing Diabetes:
- Wednesday 3rd April 10am - 1pm - Leytonstone Tesco Gainsborough Rd, Leytonstone, London E11 1HT.
- Sunday 14th April 6.00-9.00pm - Diabetes Fundraiser, Prezzo in Chingford, 1A The Green Chingford, London, E4 7ES
Services in Waltham Forest to support healthy living for prevention and management of diabetes
- HENRY through the Waltham Forest Children and families’ centres and in partnership with Lloyd Park children’s charity offer families support around healthy eating, nutrition, infant feeding, Speech & language and Oral health. Each Children and Family centre hub have trained nutritionists and champions, who offer group, drop ins and one on one sessions to families with children five years and under. Call 0208 496 5223 to get support.
- Healthier You: NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme in Waltham Forest identifies those at high risk of Diabetes (who have high blood sugars above the normal range), offering them a personalised service, including tailored weight loss, healthy eating and exercise programme, to help to reduce their risk of Type 2 diabetes. Speak to your GP about getting a blood test. Complete this questionnaire to find out if you are at risk of diabetes.
- NELFT nutrition and dietetic service offers expert nutritional advice and weight management service on a one to one and group sessions basis.
- NELFT and Bartshealth (Whippscross) offer support to people with Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes around managing the disease
- Bags of Taste offer cooking lessons around cooking healthy tasty meals on a low budget. New cooking course starts Friday 22nd March 2019 (11.00 - 1.30)
- Waltham Forest Diabetes UK Group support group for people living with diabetes, their carers or friends (contact: John Fisher on firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Diabetes Action Group work with individuals, schools and faith groups to support affordable healthy eating (contact: Monica Saunders on email@example.com or call: 07958404160)
Learn more about making lifestyle changes and activities available in Waltham Forest to help maintain a healthy weight.
Speak to your GP if you are concerned and for referrals to local support available for people who have diabetes or who have high blood sugars above the normal range.
Visit NHS Choices for more information about symptoms, and support available.