Skip to main content

How equipment is provided

There are two types of equipment:

  • Complex Aids of Daily Living (CADLs), such as profiling beds and hoists, that are provided on loan if recommended by an occupational therapists or other health professional. The equipment will be delivered to your home with us retaining responsibility for them.
  • Simple Aids of Daily Living (SADLs) such as commodes, raised toilet seats and bath boards, which are given by prescription if recommended by an occupational therapist as part of your assessment. These are redeemable from accredited retailers and are yours to keep.

Advice and information about Simple Aids of Daily Living, like the equipment listed above, and other small equipment such as kettle tippers, key turners and adapted cutlery, may also be suggested for you to self-purchase independently without the need to wait for an occupational therapy assessment. 

Using your prescription

Your prescription is valid for 28 days from the date of issue, so it’s important that you use it within this time frame. 

When you’re given your prescription you’ll be provided with a list of accredited retailers in Waltham Forest. 

You can call the retailer before visiting them to check that what you need is in stock. You can also check how quickly the shop staff can get your item and whether they can deliver.

Accredited retailers

Accredited retailers are local shops and pharmacies across the borough that have been trained by professionals to provide and demonstrate a range of equipment. They can give advice on how equipment for independent living can help you.

If you’re unable to collect your equipment then a relative, carer or friend can do this for you.

If the assessor determines that you’re unable to collect your equipment and there is no one else who can go on for you, then they’ll discuss alternative options with you.

Paying towards the service

The advice and assessment is free. If you’re eligible for social care funding the equipment will be free of charge and normally on loan. If you decide to upgrade to a different colour or model however, you’ll have to pay the additional cost to the retailer. This is called a ‘top-up’.

You can't exchange your prescription for equipment that has not been prescribed.

If you’re not eligible for social care funding, please take a look at equipment you can buy that may help you resolve your difficulties.  

How to get this service

You can download and complete a Disability Referral Form (word doc 136KB) and return to:

Access and Assessment Team
Willow House
869 Forest Road
London E17 4UH

Phone: 020 8496 3000

Need more advice ?

rating button