Skip to main content

Alcohol and drug misuse

Alcohol is the third biggest risk factor for illness and death and 1.2 million people are affected by drug addiction in their families

Current guidance recommends that people should keep track of their intake, and not drink more than recommended amounts: 

  • men and women are advised not to drink more than 14 units a week on a regular basis
  • spread your drinking over three or more days and  take a break from alcohol two days a week if you want to cut down, try to have several drink-free days each week
  • Pregnant women should avoid drinking altogether

If you would like specialist information or support about drinking habits, or you have a family member affected by drugs or alcohol contact CGL Waltham Forest on 0203 826 9600.

Get further information on the types of drugs misuse and where to go for advice and support below. 

Drugs use

If you use drugs you could be putting your health at risk, regardless of how frequent your use is.  Common illegal drugs are cannabis, cocaine, ecstasy and heroin.  Common health effects are:

  • Lung diseases including asthma
  • Heart problems and increased risk of heart attack
  • Serious viral infections (HIV, Hepatitis C)
  • Emotional and psychological problems
  • Unintentional harm or injury

If you want to change your drug use, or need held with problems caused by drugs, contact CGL Waltham Forest, a free confidential service for people who live in the borough. 

Prescription drugs

Always take prescription drugs according to the instructions you were given by your health care professional.  If you have any questions about the prescriptions you have, the best place to start is with your GP. 

Pharmacists are also able to give you information and answer questions about your prescriptions, even if you take several at once.   Never give someone else a prescription drug that was written for you.

Club Drugs and New Psychoactive Substances

There are new drugs available that many people use when they go to clubs or parties.  They used to be known as legal highs.  They can also harm health and are now illegal to trade or give away. For more information visit the Frank website. 

Young people

722 Young People’s Service provides confidential support for young people up to 19 years old who use drugs or alcohol or are affected  by someone else’s use.

They also support parents and carers worried about a young person using drugs or alcohol.

Get support

You can get further advice and support from:

  • CGL Waltham Forest - a free confidential service for people that live in the borough who are concerned about their drinking or need help to change their drug use.
  • CGL’s Family and Carers Support Service offers support and advice for families affected by drugs and alcohol, including one to one counselling and family interventions. More details are on the CGL leaflet.
  • Frank - provides national advice on drugs, their effects and addiction.

Information and Advice

Please see factsheets below with important information on various topics relating to families of people who have a drinking problem

You can also find a listing of other information and support services here.

rating button