Skip to main content

If your child has started school and you have concerns, speak to the class teacher, school nurse or GP who can advise you. Schools will also assess the level your child is working at so they can see if any extra support is needed. Top Tips for raising your concerns.

  • Write a list of questions and take them with you
  • Don’t be afraid to ask questions if you don’t understand
  • Ask what happens next and what to expect

Signs to help you spot whether your child may have additional needs

You might want to speak to your child’s teacher or doctor if your child’s having problems with any of the following:

  • Their school work, for example with reading or maths
  • Understanding other people or expressing their own point of view
  • Listening or paying attention
  • Difficulty with retaining information
  • Making friends or talking to adults
  • Behaving inappropriately in school and at home
  • Organising themselves
  • Coordination, they may appear ‘clumsy’

What will happen next?

If there are concerns about your child, your school nurse, GP or teacher may:

  • Give you advice on how to support your child
  • Signpost you to local groups/ drop in’s  that can help your child’s development
  • Monitor  and review progress
  • Refer to another more specialist health team

If referred on to a specialist health team, these are the professionals who may be involved in your child’s care. Some children may only be known to one health team whilst others may be known to several depending on their needs.

  • Community Paediatricians : A team of doctors who provide assessment where  there are concerns about their development
  • Community Children’s nurses :A team of nurses who have experience of working with children with complex health needs
  • Audiology: Specialists  in hearing problems
  • Dietician: provides support and advise on food, diet and nutrition
  • Speech & Language therapists: provide support for speech, language and  communication development
  • Physiotherapists: Work with children to help them  with sitting , moving  and walking
  • Occupational therapists: work with children to help them develop everyday skills    such as dressing, writing , playing
  • Child and Adolescent Mental health services (CAMHS): a team of nurses, psychologists, psychiatrists who provide mental health assessment  , treatment  and support
  • Wood Street Child Development Team :  A multi  -disciplinary team of nurses, doctors and therapist who  offer  specialist assessment, advice  and a potential diagnosis of the child’s  difficulties  .

On the Local Offer, you can search for information on the different health services locally. It includes information on who the service is for, how to access the service and who to contact for more information.

All professionals in Waltham Forest coordinate their support through talking to one another, sharing information and jointly planning how to achieve the best outcomes. If your child is supported by a number of professional’s from health ,education  and social care they will work together as a multi - agency team with you and your child to make sure support is coordinated  and appropriate

Need some advice ?

rating button