Skip to main content

What services are you looking for?

Preparing for Adulthood is an exciting time for young people and it’s a time when you will make a decision about what you are going to do in the future and where you are going to live.

Most young people go on to live independently without any need for continuing support from the Council and are able to train and secure employment.  For some young people who have more complex needs then it is possible that whilst you are in education that you will need continuing support from the Disability Enablement Service.

What next?

Education post 19 is not an automatic entitlement though it is a common pathway that many young people choose to follow. The period for which young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)  can be considered for support to help them learn  has been extended to 25 to enable them to continue in education, employment and training.

Once you have decided that you  are going to continue in education, employment or training then you will need to make a decision with your family, school and Assessment, Planning and Review Officer APRO to see if this is the right choice for you.

Below are some examples of what young people have chosen to do:

Disability Enablement Service: University Example

Suzy decided that she would like to go to university when she finishes school.  Suzy completed her AS levels and secured a place at university.  Suzy’s Assessment, Planning and Reviewing Officer, supported her at her annual review and her school gave her careers advice.  Suzy visited different universities and decided which one was best for her.  She wanted to stay in London to be near her family.  Once she went to university Suzy’s plan was ceased and she was successful in receiving Disabled Students Allowance and she was supported to apply for this early with her APRO and her careers advisor at school.

Disability Enablement Service: Further Education Example

Anniah  is 19 and she wanted to learn to be more independent.   Anniah’s school felt that college would be good for her and she visited Waltham Forest College, she liked their integrated classroom and felt that she could fit in and achieve.  Anniah’s APRO supported with her college application and in identifying colleges that Anniah would visit.

Anniah’s EHCP was reviewed with her APRO and the college and she was given clear learning goals for the year at college.  When Anniah was 21 she had completed all her learning goals.  Anniah now does some part time work.

Disability Enablement Service: Transferring to Community Learning Disability

Tyrese has complex needs that mean that he needs more intensive support.  He is non-verbal but knows how to express what he wants. Tyrese and his family knew that going to college was not an option once they realised that the course programmes were inaccessible to him. They agreed with the APRO that although his formal education would end and the Education, Health and Care plan would cease he may still benefit from support from Community Learning Disability support.

Disability Enablement Service: Transferring to Adult Social Care

Dwayne is 19, has complex learning needs and was educated in a special school. Dwayne and his parents agreed that his progress at school had reached its full potential and that community based learning was appropriate.

The SEN Officer through consultation with Dwayne, his advocate and his parents gave notice of the intention to cease his Education, Health and Care Plan and transfer Dwayne to Adult Services.

A care act assessment was completed and a package of support was put in place to meet Dwayne’s assessed needs which included direct payments to undertake community activities.

Dwayne spent part of his time learning skills at home with a personal assistant and accessing leisure and community activities.

Continuing on into further education or training

Going to a College is exciting as you will have made a choice about your future.  There are lots of colleges within the area that the Council works with but the main college Waltham Forest College is where many of our students go to. 

Please see below the frequently asked questions about colleges? 

How Do I know which college I should go to?

When choosing a college you should think firstly about what is available locally.  This will enable you to have a social life as you will make friends who are more likely to live closer to you.

When choosing a college you should think about what courses they offer. How far away is it? How will I get there?

Is it the right course for you?

Does the College offer the course that you want to do?  Will it help you to make progress to the next level? Will it help you to gain a job, become more independent or gain a specific skill?

Do you meet the entry criteria?

Look at the course requirements and see what they are.  Sometimes the College will make exceptions and may ask you to do an entry test to show that you can manage the course requirements.

How Do you apply for the course?

Contact the college and make an application based on their guidance.  The college will also assist you with making an application.  Ask your parents and APRO to support you with your application.

How will your support be funded?

Before you go to college, your APRO will discuss with you and your family at your annual review the types of courses that may be available to you . They will support you with your application and will make sure that your EHCP is up to date.

The college may/normally ask you to come in for a discussion to see how they can meet your support needs.  Once they have agreed this they will send in a funding application to the Disability Enablement Service, preparing for Adulthood Panel (PfA), which will assess this in exercising the Council’s responsibilities.  

The PfA panel is made up of education, health and social care officers and independent impartial providers will then discuss the funding requested by the college, and  agree an appropriate level of funding to enable you to meet your needs at College.

Why does the PfA panel do this?

The panel does this for a number of reasons:

  1. The Council has a budget and is responsible to the public to ensure that it achieves value for money and that the needs of all young people are met.
  2. The Council is responsible for making sure that the programme you are on provides real outcomes and allows you to progress.
  3. The Council will only agree to fund for support that is highlighted in your EHCP.

What happens if I want to continue in the second year?

  1. The panel only agrees funding for one year at a time as it is dependent on funding from the Education Funding Agency, which is the Government funding agency.
  2. Each year the panel will consider whether to agree to continue the funding for your learning.
  3. The panel will start reviewing your progress at college in January with the FE college, by May the panel will ask the college to make certain that it has your progress and review of learning. 
  4. Each case then goes through the PfA panel will consider funding for the following year.

Why will my funding not be continued?

The PfA panel will not agree funding if they identify that:

  1. You are not happy with the course.
  2. The course does not stretch you enough
  3. The course does not give you any progression opportunities

Provision that is graded as unsatisfactory by OFSTED will not be funded.

Contact the Disability Enablement Service

Disability Enablement Service
Wood Street Health Centre
E17 3LA

Tel: 020 8496 3000


Need some advice ?

rating button