Founded in 2001, Cerebra is a unique national charity that strives to improve the lives of children with brain-related neurological conditions, through research, education and direct, ongoing support.
We help children 16 or under with a wide range of neurodevelopmental disorders and conditions. The general areas we cover are listed below with a few examples of conditions that fall within the broader categories. If your child’s specific condition isn’t listed that doesn’t automatically mean we don’t cover it, if we listed every condition this page would go on forever! After reading this list, if you’re still unsure if we can help you please contact us.
- Cerebral Palsy
- Autistic Spectrum Disorders
- Developmental disorders like global developmental delay, dyspraxia and learning disabilities.
- Seizure disorders such as Epilepsy, west syndrome, lennox gastaut syndrome and dravet syndrome.
- Traumatic Brain Injury like head injury and shaken baby syndrome.
- Acquired Brain Injury due to infections like encephalitis and meningitis, stroke, brain tumours, hypoxic event or haemorrhage.
- Down syndrome and other Chromosomal/Genetic conditions - Some examples being Trisomy 13 (Patau syndrome) and 18 (Edward syndrome), Fragile X, Angelman syndrome, Prader-willi syndrome, Cornelia de Lange, Rett syndrome, Williams syndrome and chromosome deletion disorders.
- Brain Malformation/Abnormality like Agenesis of the corpus callosum, Dandy Walker syndrome, Arnold Chiari malformation, lissencephaly, microcephaly and macrocephaly.
- Degeneration of the brain – Cerebral atrophy and Periventricular Leukomalacia for example.
- Conditions caused in utero such as Foetal alcohol syndrome or as the result of some sort of toxin.