POhWER provides an advocacy service for residents of Waltham Forest who have been sectioned under the Mental Health Act.
If you are sectioned you have a legal right to receive information and support from an Independent Mental Health Advocate, also referred to as an IMHA.
Our Independent Mental Health Advocacy service can help you to understand your situation. We can provide you with options to access relevant support and understand the choices you have.
You can use this service if you are:
- Currently being detained under certain section of the Mental Health Act
- Subject to Guardianship or a Community Treatment Order
- Considering certain treatments which have been suggested to you
Your IMHA can support you by:
- explaining what is happening to you and your rights
- helping you to prepare for, and supporting you at meetings including appeals, ward rounds, Care Plan Approach (CPA)meetings and tribunals
- helping you to communicate with staff
- helping you to access your medical and local authority records
To find out more about this service or to discuss a referral please contact us.
POhWER's services are free, confidential and independent.