If you have difficulty using public transport due to a serious, permanent mobility problem or are severely sight impaired, the Taxicard scheme could help you.
This London-wide scheme helps pay for journeys in licensed black taxis and private hire vehicles.
The scheme works in the following way:
- You pay the first £2.50 of each trip – the flat fare
- The council pays an additional amount up to a total of £8.30 towards your fare
- If your fare goes above £10.80 (£2.50+£8.30) you’ll pay the difference in addition to the flat fare
Taxicard users can travel when and where they want, as long as the journey starts and finishes in the Greater London area.
You can apply for a Taxicard from us if you live permanently in the London Borough of Waltham Forest. If you live outside of Waltham Forest you’ll have to apply through your local council.
You’ll automatically qualify if you:
- receive the higher rate of mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance
- receive Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and score 8 points or more on the 'moving around' activity list
- receive War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement
- are registered blind or severely sighted impaired with Waltham Forest
You can also apply if you have long term mobility problems that prevent you from being able to use public transport. You may be invited to a mobility assessment with one of our Occupational Therapist Assistant.
You won’t qualify if you have a temporary condition, such as a broken leg.